January 12, 2022
“Pfft. Look, you scared the gulls.”
“If you don’t watch it, I’ll do more than just scare the gulls.”
CHAOS. Sometimes an experiment does the things you want it to, and sometimes it gets away from you. I had a blast painting this, even though it didn't accomplish what I set out to do in the first place hahahahahahaaaa!!
A tremendous thank you to everyone who offered their esk for this experiment! It was a wonderful spread of characters, and I wish that I could have worked everyone in :'^| Pimu / Santa Catalina Island is dear to my heart, and it was a really happy thing to share those warm fuzzies.
- Poor Dango didn’t realize he had the splash seat. Nendo bobs on the water and watches all this like “huh?”
- Thuja and Many Barks take off with the gulls. Nephele gets whisked up in the action.
- Imberflos isn’t in a hurry, and neither is the gull she’s having a staring contest with.
- Cóilí’s in his element chasing the flock. They won’t know what hit ‘em.
- 4515 is just trying to keep up, man.
- Wac’aak rears up at the highest point for the drama of it all. Or the gulls. Probably the gulls.
- təqʷuʔbəʔ holds down the fort from afar.
I also experimented with distributing solo versions of this piece for each featured character, which are a lot less chaotic (and which, honestly, I kinda like more.) Here are two examples: Thuja + the Kayak